Visit Tech Alliance
Authentic Te Reo Māori engagement using Artificial Intelligence
A live panel discussion with Q&A on the challenges and potential of Artificial Intelligence to help revitalise Te Reo Māori.
Join us for a light lunch (or virtually) to hear from our speakers, Wharehuia Dixon and Punahamoa Walker, working on FranklyAI. They will be talking about:
- What is required to recreate an authentic Te Reo Māori face to face conversation using AI.
- Challenges in turning an indigenous language like Te Reo Māori into a digital language that still seems natural.
- A translator’s perspective: being authentic, using kīwaha, representing dialects.
- Role of digital platforms in revitalising first nation languages, including getting information from older generations and presenting to younger generations, rethinking inclusive teaching practices.
- The role of bilingual indigenous AI for decolonisation during the UNESCO Decade of Indigenous Languages.
This event, hosted by Beca, will be held at Beca House in Auckland CBD and online.
Register early to secure your spot for the in-person session.