Visit Tech Alliance
AI EnviroHack – AI for the Environment
Showcase skills and help save the world in record time.
In the lead up to the Aotearoa AI Summit we are hosting the AI EnviroHack series across New Zealand. The top teams will pitch their solutions at the Summit on 12 September in Auckland, where the overall winners will be announced.
Missed our Bootcamp session? You can view the presentation on-demand. It explores everything you need to know including the hackathon’s problem, registration, tech, how to form teams and pitch your ideas.
What is the problem?
The AI EnviroHack is focused on delivering real life examples to help build a coherent environmental data ecosystem including:
- Deploying AI alongside other new technologies to enhance environmental data collection.
- Developing a national environmental open data framework.
- Considering where and how mātauranga Māori may be incorporated within Government AI systems.
- Coordinating the development of standards and best practices for environmental data management.
What may a solution look like?
The aim is to participate, ideate and learn. Of course if your objective is also to win, the judges will need to see a clear purpose in your creation. You will also need to appeal to a wider audience, not just data scientists and technologists. For example:
- Demonstrate the collaboration of citizen science with academic and government research to uncover previously hidden insights. This may include emissions, erosion, native and non-native flora, fauna and sea life, and waste.
- Demonstrate the collection of data from various sources for an environmental purpose without impacting data sovereignty. For example, Federated Data and Data Mesh.
- Consider the deployment of AI alongside other new technologies to enhance environmental data collection, enabling the incorporation of mātauranga Māori and principles of accessibility and openness into a Climate Change solution.
Why should I attend?
If you’re passionate about using tech for good, create your own team or join one at AI EnviroHack. This is the ideal opportunity to hone your skills with real-life problems. Share ideas, knowledge and gain valuable development experience. You’ll also benefit from attending this collaborative event by:
- developing a solution that is good for the world
- extending your comfort zone in a supportive environment
- showcasing your skills and learn even more
- creating new connections and team building
- developing communication and presentation skills
Plus, join the female led all inclusive She Sharp AI EnviroHack on Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 September in Auckland. This is the ideal opportunity to hone your skills with real-life problems in a supportive environment.
- AI EnviroHack Series NATIONAL PRIZE $1,000: Sponsored by the AI Institute at University of Waikato and the TAIAO Project, the overall winning team will be chosen by the audience at the AI Summit on 12 September.
- REGIONAL PRIZE $200: The winning teams of the Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington, Waikato and Auckland events will each win $200.
- 18 August: View the Bootcamp presentation below or review the presentation slides.
- 3-4 September: Female led She Sharp AI EnviroHack in Auckland
- 3-4 September: NZ-wide AIEnviroHack series, in person at Dunedin
- 7 September: Optional training, live virtual event
- 8-9 September: NZ-wide AIEnviroHack series, in person or hybrid at Auckland, Waikato, Wellington, Christchurch
- 12 September: Successful teams pitch at the Aotearoa AI Summit in Auckland.